The Samsung RU8000 is a really good 4k television with a decent quality picture. It provides deep uniform blacks in a dark room but lacks a local dimming feature to further enhance efficiency in the darkroom. The RU8000 has good visibility on the SDR peak and good handling of reflection.
The Screen has a wide range of colors, but the HDR max brightness is just average, so it can not disSmartplay as it should be smaller highlights. The overall gray uniformity is nice with minimal dirty screen effect, but there are poor viewing angles and you have to sit straight in front to enjoy a precise picture.
The motion handling is outstanding with a fast response time that allows us to show crisp motion with minimal blur. The input lag is really short and to satisfy gamers the TV embraces FreeSync variable refresh rate technology. The RU8000 is a mid-range TV, but there are better TVs for the same price. See our recommendations for the best TVs, the best HDR gaming TVs, and the best smart TVs.
Samsung RU8000 TV
The Samsung RU8000 is superb in design. The stand is made from plastic of good quality, it supports the television well and prevents most wobbling. The back of the TV is plain and represents the back of the Samsung Q60R with a nice texture.
The television is relatively thin and the corners are close to the Q60R. The build quality is good and although we noticed a small crack in the bezel’s lower-left corner, you shouldn’t have any problems with the build quality of the television.
The stand is made of plastic of good quality and supports the television well. It’s similar to the stand of the Samsung Q80R but the legs are not hollow to be used as cable guides. If nudged, the TV wobbles a little but it’s nothing serious.
This television has a very good native contrast ratio. It can bring deep blacks into a dark room, perfect to watch movies. Unfortunately, unlike the NU8000, the RU8000 lacks a local dimming feature to improve performance in the darkroom. There’s no local dimming feature. The video above is provided for reference only.
For Movies: The Samsung RU8000 is a great movie-watching TV. It has a high native contrast ratio and good black uniformity, and in a dark room, blacks look great. Unfortunately, there is no local support for dimming to further boost the efficiency of dark rooms. It displays judge-free films over any source and has a feature of motion interpolation to please soap opera effect fans.
For TV Shows: This is a great TV to watch television shows. It can manage reflections well and can get reasonably bright, but it may not suit a very bright room. Without visible artifacts, upscaling cable content looks good and there’s an optional motion interpolation feature to please the soap opera effect fans.
Sports: This is an excellent TV to watch sports. It can get very light and be able to handle the reflections well. Good for a typical lit room with a few sources of light. The RU8000 has a very fast response time, which means that fast-action sports look crisp. Gray uniformity is good and sports fans are unlikely to be disturbed by the minimal dirty screen effect.
Video Games: This is an outstanding video game TV. It has a very low input lag which makes it feel very responsive to gaming. The response time is very fast, and quick action without much blur appears crisp. For close tear-free play, the RU8000 supports low input lag with motion interpolation, auto low latency, and FreeSync VRR.
HDR Movies: The RU8000 appears decently at HDR. It has an excellent contrast ratio and fantastic black uniformity, but the lack of local dimming can’t help increase efficiency in the darkroom. Even though it has a wide gamut of colors and can become decently bright in HDR, it can not display HDR content the way it was intended by its creator.
HDR Gaming: The RU8000 uses HDR excellently. This has an outstanding contrast ratio and fantastic black uniformity, but the lack of local dimming can’t help boost efficiency in dark rooms. Although it has a wide range of colors and can become decently bright in HDR, it can not view HDR material the way it was intended by its designer.
PC Monitor: This is a very good TV for use as monitor. It has very low input and it is extremely responsive. Without problems, it supports the most common resolutions and can display proper 4:4:4 chroma. Thanks to the very fast response time, motion appears crisp and the television is free from the risk of permanent burn-in. Unfortunately, the viewing angles are low and you can find issues with uniformity while sitting up-close.
The response time is excellent and better than NU8000. It’s best for fast-moving content, including video games and sports. In the 0-20 percent range, there is some small overshoot, which may cause some haloing in very dark scenes, but it shouldn’t be really immediately noticeable. Unfortunately, the backlight flicker makes noticeable duplications.
The RU8000 dims its backlight using Pulse Width Modulation. The flicker frequency in ‘Movie’ mode is 240Hz but in all other modes falls to 120Hz. If you set Auto Motion Plus to either ‘Custom’ or ‘Auto’ it also drops to 120Hz in the ‘Movie’ mode.
Decent reaction frequency on the RU8000. It’s having a hard time producing a great bass. At low levels, the rest of the frequency response is well-balanced and does a decent job of producing conversation.
This TV may be big enough for wide spaces or loud environments but not big enough. Unfortunately, for adjusting to the acoustics of the room it does not have a digital room correction.
It is better but worse than the Q60R than the NU8000. There is a small amount of distortion that rises with distance, but not to the extent that objects can be seen.
- Streaming Apps: The RU8000 is equipped with Samsung’s Smart Hub platform, which provides easy access to popular streaming apps and services. You can enjoy a wide range of content from providers like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, YouTube, and more, directly from the TV without the need for additional devices.
- Voice Control: The RU8000 features built-in voice control functionality, allowing you to control your TV using voice commands. The TV is compatible with popular voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. By connecting the TV to compatible smart speakers or using the TV’s built-in microphone, you can perform various tasks, such as changing channels, adjusting volume, searching for content, and even controlling other compatible smart devices in your home.
- Smart Home Integration: The RU8000 is designed to seamlessly integrate with your smart home ecosystem. Through its compatibility with popular smart home platforms like SmartThings, you can control and monitor your smart home devices directly from the TV. For example, you can dim the lights, adjust the thermostat, or view live camera feeds, all from the comfort of your couch.
- Screen Mirroring and Mobile Device Integration: The RU8000 allows you to mirror the screen of your compatible mobile devices onto the TV. With features like Samsung Smart View or Apple AirPlay 2 (available on select models), you can effortlessly stream videos, photos, or music from your smartphone or tablet to the big screen.
- One Remote Control: The RU8000 comes with a sleek and intuitive One Remote Control, which simplifies your TV and entertainment experience. This single remote can control not only the TV but also other compatible devices connected to the TV, such as Blu-ray players or soundbars. The One Remote Control eliminates the need for multiple remotes and provides a seamless and unified control solution.
Gaming Modes and Features
The Samsung RU8000 is equipped with several gaming modes and features that enhance your gaming experience, providing reduced input lag, smoother motion, and optimized visuals for a more immersive gameplay.
- Game Mode: The RU8000 offers a dedicated Game Mode setting, which when enabled, optimizes the TV’s performance specifically for gaming. By minimizing picture processing and reducing input lag, Game Mode ensures faster response times between your actions and the on-screen display, resulting in a more responsive and fluid gaming experience.
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): The RU8000 supports Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which is a feature of HDMI 2.1. When connected to a gaming console or device that also supports ALLM, such as an Xbox One X or Xbox Series X, the TV can automatically detect when you start playing a game and switch to Game Mode to minimize input lag. This eliminates the need to manually enable Game Mode every time you play a game, providing a seamless and hassle-free gaming experience.
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): The RU8000 is compatible with Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology, specifically AMD FreeSync. When connected to a gaming console or PC with FreeSync support, the TV’s refresh rate dynamically adapts to the frame rate outputted by the gaming device. This results in smoother gameplay with reduced screen tearing and stuttering, providing a more fluid and immersive gaming experience.
- Enhanced Motion Handling: The RU8000 boasts excellent motion handling capabilities, thanks to its fast response time. This means that fast-moving objects or scenes in games appear crisp and blur-free, allowing for better visibility and precision during gameplay.
Can I control other devices using the Samsung One Remote Control?
Yes, the Samsung One Remote Control is designed to control not only the TV but also other compatible devices connected to the TV, such as Blu-ray players, soundbars, and cable/satellite boxes. This eliminates the need for multiple remotes and provides a unified control experience.
Does the Samsung RU8000 have an Ethernet port for a wired internet connection?
Yes, the Samsung RU8000 has an Ethernet port, allowing you to connect the TV to your home network using a wired connection. This can provide a stable and reliable internet connection, especially for streaming high-bandwidth content.
What audio formats does it support?
The Samsung RU8000 supports various audio formats, including Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. It can also pass through high-quality audio formats like Dolby Atmos to a compatible sound system or soundbar via HDMI ARC or optical audio connection.
Can I control the Samsung RU8000 using my smartphone?
Yes, you can control the Samsung RU8000 using your smartphone. The TV supports mobile device integration, allowing you to control the TV functions, access apps, and stream content using compatible smartphone apps like the Samsung SmartThings app or dedicated remote control apps.
Does it have a gaming mode with reduced input lag?
Yes, the Samsung RU8000 has a dedicated Game Mode that optimizes the TV’s settings for gaming. It reduces input lag, providing a more responsive gaming experience. Enabling Game Mode is recommended for gaming to minimize any delay between your actions and the on-screen response.
Can I connect my Bluetooth headphones to the Samsung RU8000 for private listening?
Yes, you can connect Bluetooth headphones or speakers to the Samsung RU8000 for private listening. Simply pair your Bluetooth headphones or speakers with the TV, and you can enjoy audio wirelessly without disturbing others in the room.
Does it support voice search for finding content?
Yes, the Samsung RU8000 supports voice search through its compatibility with voice assistants like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. You can use voice commands to search for specific content, launch apps, adjust settings, and more, providing a convenient way to navigate and control the TV.
What is the energy efficiency rating of the Samsung RU8000?
The energy efficiency of the Samsung RU8000 is measured using the Energy Star rating system. It is designed to meet or exceed energy efficiency standards and consumes less power in standby mode. The specific energy rating may vary depending on the screen size and region.
It may become fairly bright and is best suited to an average lit room. The TV will show deep uniform blacks, which is perfect for watching movies but needs a local dimming feature to boost efficiency even more.
The response time is very fast and the gray uniformity is good and sports fans will be happy with all of that. The RU8000 has a relatively low input lag and supports FreeSync VRR to keep gamers happy.