LG NANO81 is a good TV overall with an IPS panel. It’s a really basic TV that’s restricted to extra features since it doesn’t embrace any variable refresh rate (VRR) technology or Dolby Vision.
This has wide angles of view, and it’s a perfect option to watch a big game with a lot of friends. Unfortunately, people who love watching movies in the dark can be disappointed with this because of its weak contrast ratio, bad local dimming functionality, and uniformity issues.
It’s a perfect option for Xbox players because the response time is respectable and the input lag is incredibly low. Basically, it’s a relatively well-built TV with an outstanding build and a luxurious center-mounted stand.
LG NANO81 TV – Unleash the Full Potential
The LG NANO81 has an outstanding design that looks a lot like the LG NANO85 and the LG SM8600 in terms of its desing and frame. It has the same center-mounted stand as SM8600 that gives it a more luxurious feel than the two-foot stand on the LG NANO85.
The center-mounted moon-shaped stand is all plastic, except for the base underneath the frame, which is metal. The middle component that attaches to the TV is plastic and doesn’t support the Television as long as a lot of wobbles.
It has a decent design quality, just like the LG SM8600. The stand wobbles a lot so there’s a lot of flex to the back panel. You can also clearly see the screws and lines to which the different sections of the Screen are mounted.
The contrast ratio of the TV is average and it has greater than other IPS panels we have used, but when presented in the dark, blacks look similar to gray.
The LG NANO81 offers low local dimming. This has six edge-lit dimming zones, so bright things highlight entire regions, and you can see when each zone starts and stops, which is confusing even during actual content.
Due to this issue, there are noticeable blooming and uniformity issues around subtitles and bright objects. On the upside, it doesn’t crash scenes and objects transition between zones well.
- Movies: The LG NANO81 is a medium TV for movie watching. It has a weak contrast-ratio IPS screen, and its local dimming feature is poor. It still has low uniformity in black, and dark scenes don’t look good. Fortunately, it upscales content in lower resolution well and excludes judges from 24p channels, such as native apps.
- TV Shows: Very good for TV shows. The LG NANO81 has outstanding handling of the reflection, but it is not getting really clear, and you can avoid placing it in very clear spaces. It has wide viewing angles and, as from cable boxes, it upscales 720p content without any problems. LG’s WebOS software also provides a wide variety of apps to use.
- Sports: The LG NANO81 is the best for watching sports. If you play games with a big group of friends it has different viewing angles.
You should avoid watching sports in very bright rooms because they don’t get really big, but they do have outstanding handling of reflection.
- HDR Gaming: The LG NANO81 is all the best TV for HDR gaming, thanks mostly to its decent gameplay results. It has an incredibly low input lag and decent response time but it doesn’t look nice with HDR video. The gamut of colors is quite limited and is not getting bright enough to pull out highlights. This is also limited to a refresh rate of 60Hz and therefore has no VRR support.
- PC Monitor: The LG NANO81 is a perfect TV to use as a monitor. It shows correct 4:4:4 chroma, which is important for reading text. It has large viewing angles so putting in a meeting room is a smart idea. Placing in bright rooms is not the safest TV, because while it has outstanding handling of reflections, it is not going bright enough to fight glare.
Smart TV Features:
- WebOS Operating System: The LG NANO81 comes with LG’s WebOS operating system, which is known for its user-friendly interface and easy navigation. WebOS provides access to a wide range of streaming apps, including popular ones like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu, as well as niche apps like Twitch and Shudder. You can easily download and install new apps from the LG Content Store.
- Magic Remote: The LG NANO81 comes with a Magic Remote, which is a motion-controlled remote that allows you to point, click, and scroll through the TV’s interface. The remote also has a built-in microphone, which allows you to use voice commands to search for content, change settings, or launch apps. The Magic Remote can also control other devices connected to the TV, such as a soundbar or gaming console.
- Voice Control: The LG NANO81 supports voice control through Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. You can use your voice to control the TV, search for content, or adjust settings. This feature is particularly useful if you have other smart home devices that are compatible with Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Screen Sharing: The LG NANO81 supports screen sharing through Miracast, AirPlay 2, and Bluetooth. This allows you to mirror the screen of your smartphone, tablet, or laptop onto the TV, making it easy to share photos, videos, or presentations with others.
- Multi-View: The LG NANO81 has a Multi-View feature that allows you to split the screen into two, three, or four parts, each with a different input source. This is particularly useful if you want to watch multiple shows or games at the same time, or if you want to connect multiple devices to the TV.
- Mobile App: LG also offers a mobile app called LG TV Plus, which allows you to control the TV using your smartphone or tablet. You can use the app to change channels, adjust the volume, or launch apps. The app also has a virtual remote that mimics the physical Magic Remote.
- HDMI Ports: The LG NANO81 has three HDMI ports, which provide a good range of connectivity options for connecting to other devices such as gaming consoles, streaming devices, or soundbars. HDMI is the most common type of connection used for high-definition video and audio, so having multiple ports allows you to easily switch between devices without having to constantly unplug and plug in cables.
- USB Port: The LG NANO81 also has one USB port, which can be used to connect a USB storage device or other compatible device, such as a digital camera or smartphone. This allows you to view photos or videos on the TV or play music through the TV’s speakers.
- Ethernet Port: The LG NANO81 has an Ethernet port, which allows you to connect the TV to your home network using an Ethernet cable. This provides a more stable and reliable connection than using Wi-Fi, which can be affected by interference or signal strength. The Ethernet port also allows you to access streaming services and other online features more quickly and smoothly.
- Optical Audio Output: The LG NANO81 has an optical audio output, which allows you to connect the TV to a soundbar or other compatible audio device. Optical audio provides a high-quality digital connection for transmitting audio, which can provide better sound quality than using the TV’s built-in speakers.
- Bluetooth: The LG NANO81 also supports Bluetooth connectivity, which allows you to connect the TV to other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as headphones or speakers. This can be useful if you want to watch TV without disturbing others or if you want to listen to music through a separate speaker system.
Can I mount TV on the wall?
Yes, the LG NANO81 has a VESA-compatible mounting pattern of 300 x 300 mm, which means it can be mounted on a wall using a compatible wall mount. However, you will need to purchase a separate wall mount, as it does not come included with the TV.
Can I use the LG NANO81 TV as a computer monitor?
Yes, the LG NANO81 can be used as a computer monitor. It has a low input lag and supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, which means it can display text and other fine details accurately. However, the TV may not be as well-suited for productivity tasks as a dedicated computer monitor, as it may not have the same level of image sharpness or color accuracy.
Does it TV have a built-in tuner for receiving over-the-air broadcasts?
Yes, the LG NANO81 has a built-in ATSC 3.0 tuner, which allows you to receive over-the-air broadcasts of free local channels. However, you will need to connect an antenna to the TV in order to receive these broadcasts.
Can I control the LG NANO81 TV with my smartphone?
Yes, the LG NANO81 supports smartphone control through the LG TV Plus app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices. The app allows you to control the TV’s settings, navigate apps, and even use your smartphone as a virtual remote control.
What is the energy efficiency rating of the LG NANO81 TV?
The LG NANO81 has an energy efficiency rating of A+, which is one of the highest ratings available. This means that the TV is designed to use energy efficiently and minimize power consumption when in use.
How do I update the firmware on my LG NANO81 TV?
You can update the firmware on your LG NANO81 TV by following these steps:
- Press the Home button on your remote control to access the main menu.
- Navigate to the Settings icon and select it.
- Scroll down to the All Settings option and select it.
- Scroll down to the General section and select the About This TV option.
- Select the Check for Updates option and follow the on-screen instructions to download and install any available updates.
With certain uses, the LG NANO81 is a good TV. It’s a perfect option for its IPS panel to watch sports with a community of friends, or use it as a Mac monitor.
This has a low contrast ratio, poor black uniformity, and its local dimming option is bad so it’s not a good choice to watch movies in the dark. It has no support for VRR and it has a refresh rate of 60Hz but novice players will enjoy the incredibly low input lag and good response time.